Youth Education Stewards (Y.E.S.) Leadership Volunteer Program
Youth Education Stewards (Y.E.S.) Leadership Program at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens-Summer 2012
This leadership volunteer program is designed for youth ages 11-18 who are interested in volunteering in the Bibby and Harold Alfond Children’s Garden. Youth Education Stewards implement daily educational activities, read stories, complete daily chores, answer questions, and encourage and inspire kids and adults alike to play, laugh, and discover in an enchanting garden setting. The program begins in mid-June and continues until the end of August. Volunteers may sign up at any time.
Those interested in joining the Y.E.S. Leadership Program are expected to fill out an application (see below), meet with the Youth and Family Program Coordinator for a one-on-one interview, and attend a volunteer training session to gain confidence, learn volunteer skills, and familiarize themselves with the Children’s Garden and Y.E.S. volunteer responsibilities. After completing a training, Y.E.S. participants sign-up for weekly three-hour volunteer shifts in the Bibby and Harold Alfond Children’s Garden.
Please download an application here, and see additional information about the program below.
Description of Y.E.S. Responsibilities:
- Administer easy-to-understand Discovery Stations.
- Read to children during Storytime in the Children’s Garden.
- Answer visitors’ questions and inspire interest in the Children’s Garden.
- Invite the public to join you as you implement the Daily To-Do List, such as feeding the chickens.
- Help care for and teach visitors about our Learning Garden.
- Tidy the Story Barn and other structures as needed.
Why become involved in the Y.E.S. Leadership Program?
- Meet new people.
- Gain experience working with the public and with children.
- Improve communication skills.
- Build a resume.
- Explore career options.
- Learn how to care for a garden.
- Teach young children about gardening, nature, and Maine literature.
- Have fun in the beauty of the outdoors!
What is expected of a Youth Education Steward?
- Complete an application.
- Attend a volunteer training (training dates to be announced).
- Sign up for a weekly volunteer shift in the Children’s Garden.
- Carry out Y.E.S. volunteer responsibilities in a respectful and engaging manner.
Participants will be scheduled for available weekly volunteer shifts on any day of the week, as follows:
How do I sign-up?
We are currently accepting applications. Please see the application link above to download an application. If you have any questions or would like more information about this program, please contact Erika Huber, Youth and Family Program Coordinator at 207-633-4333 ext. 151 or via e-mail.