- This event has passed.
All About Birds
March 2 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Thursdays, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 & April 6, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Learn to paint and draw birds! In this five-week class, students will work from photographs and online resources to learn the anatomy of eggs, nests, feathers, wings, and the whole bird anatomy. Class meets online via Zoom. Each week a new topic will be introduced through slide lectures and demonstrations of various techniques. Students may work in watercolor and/or colored pencil. After the class is over, there will be a final review bonus class where students can receive feedback from the instructor. While this class is a part of our adult education offerings, it is open to advanced younger students, ages 14 and older.
Class Content: This is a five-week, two-hour workshop via Zoom. (A link will be sent two days prior to the start of the course and will be used for every class.)
Week 1- Focus on Drawing, Measuring, and Creating Eggs
- Learn about the different shapes, sizes, and history of collecting eggs.
- Introduction to the scientific light source and armature drawing of the egg.
- Accurately draw, measure, enlarge, and transfer a variety of eggs.
- Create different patterns and color mixing: speckled, mottled, etc.
- Create a full page of varying bird eggs in the medium of your choice. Experimentation is welcome!
Week 2- Drawing and Painting Feathers
- Discussion of the types of bird feathers and their uses in bird anatomy.
- Demonstrations in color mixing to create patterns & iridescent colors in watercolor & colored pencil.
- Create a page of feathers to practice color mixing, brush work, and form.
Week 3- Bird Nests
- Discussion of the many types of bird nests.
- Demonstration on how to untangle and successfully draw a nest.
- Techniques for applying details in graphite, ink, and/or gouache to show depth and texture.
Week 4- Bird Wings
- Discussion of wing anatomy and posturing.
- Demonstrations in how to successfully render a bird wing.
- Instruction on how much detail to include in a bird wing.
- Techniques for applying color and patterns.
Week 5- Putting it all Together!
- Quick tips for sketching birds.
- Researching and putting a bird into a composition.
- Feet, bill, and wing positioning by working with multiple photos.
- Layering techniques to create a final composition.
Week 6: Review of Final Project (optional)